Although more and more businesses are fully embracing social media, many are still uncertain about how to contribute and participate in the major social networks.
In order to be successful over the long-term, businesses must demonstrate that they can be consistent, relevant and remarkable. Including these 3 very important ingredients in a marketing recipe, will improve the engagement and social media performance of struggling businesses and brands.
To be consistent in your online marketing, it will take significant effort to generate the kind of content your audience craves. Just as it takes a strong commitment to be a good friend or partner IRL, you can expect that building and maintaining meaningful relationships with your Internet audience will take ongoing dedication, perseverance and a daily responsibility.
How can you become more consistent?
- Routine. Identify habitual rituals that will calm, center and fulfill you.
- Organization. Being organized enables you to concentrate on important tasks.
- Meaningful Friendships. Seek-out people you can trust and will view you in the same manner.
- Flexibility. Accept the fact that change is inevitable and embrace it.
In order to appeal to your audience you must be relevant. This means delivering suitable information that is consistent with their established values interests and/or needs. The posts, images, videos and other branded content that is presented to them must address one or more of their daily struggles or successes. Focus your communications on conveying a well-thought-out message that your target audience can closely relate to, and given its relevancy, will deeply appreciate.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines relevance as “the state of being closely connected or appropriate to the matter in hand.”
How can you become more relevant?
- Be Authentic. Appear to others as you are, without pretense or phoniness.
- Achieve Mastery. Useful skills makes you valuable to others. This is achieved by continuously improving your knowledge, talents and abilities.
- Be Empathetic. Recognize and share feelings experienced by others without judgement, and demonstrate a genuine desire to help.
- Take Action. There are 4 elements to this: impetus, vector, acceleration and velocity. Impetus determines whether the action is important. Vector is the direction your action takes you: either toward goals or away from them. Acceleration reflects your level of commitment. Velocity is the energy that moves you forward.
The truth be told, every one of your competitors has a marketing message to communicate. In order for your message to be noticeable, you must determine and capitalize on what is truly remarkable about your business, product and/or service. Making the effort to highlight the notable qualities of your business/brand, will clearly demonstrate what is strikingly appealing about you, and will significantly differentiate your message from that of your competition. Give your audience a good reason to talk about you.
How can you become more remarkable?
- Be at or beyond “the edge” of your industry.
- Do not try to please everyone. The goal is to please those that actually speak up and spread the word.
- Be the first do something and do it the best. Make certain that it is something that people care about.
- Reinvent and reinvest in yourself. Constantly be motivated by improving what you have to offer.